It's useful to understand the common terminology and resources that compose the GeoServices API.
The GeoServices REST API follows a common structure.
For example the layer "DC Public Schools" has the URI address of: http://maps2.dcgis.dc.gov/dcgis/rest/services/DCGIS_DATA/Education_WebMercator/MapServer/5
- a web server that connects a database and provides many services.
- a collection of Services organized by a topic.
- Service a high-level container of many layers, _e.g. Education_. A Service is often a thematic grouping of ldters. Examples include `FeatureServer`, `MapServer`, `ImageServer`</dd>
- a collection of data that have a common schema, _e.g. Public Schools in DC_. Layers are addressed as their index, starting at 0. A Layer has many features. aka Dataset
- an individual location, e.g. a School. A Feature has a geometry and many attributes.
- an aspect of a feature, e.g. Number of Students. An attribute can be a string, number, timestamp, id, or blob.